to register, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call: 00420 222 222 521
coordinator: Karin Grohmannova
There is no admission fee for this event.
The symposium will be held in English.
The symposium asks what non-profit organizations are today and questions their role in the creation of city space. Are they non-elected groups of interest promoting their own interpretation of public good? Or do they represent a litmus paper of the level of democracy in the society? Invited organizations transform the city space on different levels – from local to whole-city projects, with a narrow or global point of view.
On the ground of this symposium the documentation of such organizations from the whole of Europe will take place. The creation of a unifying web database will enable everyone to have an overview of the status quo, but mainly to have a mutual interconnection among the organizations with similar aims and let them to share their experiences.
What are present-time non-profit organizations like and what is their role in urban space? The invited organizations from over 13 European countries transform cities at various levels, from small local interventions to universal visions. In the course of the symposium, they will offer different views of the current situation and present their current and past projects. The symposium is a unique opportunity to get to know different approaches, get inspired through experience and to participate in a discussion about the common goal – a better urban space.
On the second day, workshops will be held where, under the leadership of three internationally active organizations, a manifesto will be created presenting the current European view of events in cities and different ways to affect them.
The symposium is held as part of the CULBURB project within the reSITE festival.
22nd May 2012
Symposium, NTK, Technická 6, Prague
presented by Igor Kovačević
11:45 - 13:15 NGO Mission
presented by Regina Loukotová
14:15 – 15:45 Activism and Urban Space
presented by Adam Gebrian
16:00 – 17:30 Periphery in Focus
presented by Samu Szemerey
19:00 -20:30 Form of Act - BAVO , Stealth, Stalker
presented by Lieven de Cauter
conclusion and debate
- Lieven De Cauter (Belgium)
- Gideon Boie (BAVO, Belgium)
- Ana Džokić and Marc Neelen (Stealth, Netherlands)
- Lorenzo Romito and Giulia Fiocca (Stalker, Italy)
- Nahid Majid (Design Council Cabe, United Kingdom)
- Håkon Iversen (Nordic Urban Design Association, Norway)
- Gabu Heindl (ÖGFA, Austria)
- Danilo Capasso (n.est, Italy)
- Maria Theodorou (SARCHA, Greece)
- Nuno Sampaio (Estrategia Urbana, Portugal)
- Constantin Goagea (Zeppelin revista, Romania)
- Tatjana Rajic (EXPEDITIO, Montenegro)
- Alessandro Grella and Pasquale Onofrio (IZMO, Italy)
- Jakub Klepal (Forum 2000, Czech Republic)
- Francesca Miazzo (CITIES Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Anna Hult (CITIES Stockholm, Sweden)
- Artur Celiński and Wojciech Przybylski (Res Publica Nowa, Poland)
- Martin Joseph Barry (reSITE, USA + Czech Republic)
- Jakob Hurrle (Praguewatch, Czech Republic)
- Šárka Svobodová (4AM, Czech Republic)
- Yaël Raffner (Robins des villes, France)
23rd May 2012
Workshop, HUB Prague
3 workgroups with different topics: Global Act (by BAVO)
Local Act (by Stealth)
Community Act (by Stalker)
9:30–16:00 group work
14:00–16:00 presentation and a debate