Prague is constantly striving to improve its image, unfortunately the battle against dishonest taxi drivers seems never-ending. Therefore, when using taxi services, be careful and take the following advice.
Remember that the law states a maximum price of:
40 CZK boarding fee
28 CZK per kilometre
6 CZK per minute waiting
Official taxis must have (among other things):
- A yellow roof-light with the word TAXI in black lettering on both sides.
- Black and white chequered stripes on the sides of the vehicle.
- An identification number, price list and business name (name and surname or company name) on both front doors.
- Inside the taxi there must be a taxi-meter and the driver's permit must be visible on the dashboard. The permit is yellow and bears the driver's photo and name and the name of the taxi service operator.
- Inside the taxi there must be a detailed price list outlining all rates of fare used.
It is not advisable to stop a taxi in the street, it is safer to call a taxi through a dispatcher. The dispatcher will also give you an orientational price for your journey. The list of authorised operators is constantly increasing – you will find a list and 24 hour service here. The staff of your hotel or a tourist information centre will be able to help you choose a taxi service.
Another safe option is to use Fair Place taxi ranks, where the taxis are approved by City Hall and abide by the rules.
Immediately after a passenger boards a taxi the driver must switch on the taxi-meter and at the end of the journey must present a receipt. Insist on the issue of a receipt, especially if you are unhappy with the service or price.
A journey within the historical centre of Prague should not exceed 300 CZK. Other orientational prices are:
|Airport||Old Town (centre)||400 CZK|
|Airport||Prague Castle||380 CZK|
|Airport||Anděl metro station||450 CZK|
|Airport||Florenc bus station||450 CZK|
|Airport||main railway station||450 CZK|
|Old Town||Prague Castle||80 CZK|
|Old Town||Anděl metro station||100 CZK|
|Old Town||Florenc bus station||100 CZK|
|Old Town||main railway station||100 CZK|